Thursday 21 August 2008

Feel my pain.


What a week it’s been for British Cycling, dominating the track racing in just about every possible fashion. In fact the only events we didn’t win were the ones where nothing is guaranteed, but I’m sure work will be done to make this possible. Hopefully now people will be inspired as I was 4 years ago and possibly take up this most fulfilling of sports and, hopefully, of those people there will be one that is a future Olympic champion, only time will tell. The track racing has been the highlight of my day for the past few days. I got up at 8 every morning to be on the turbo for 9 and finished for when the racing started at 10.30. That is, when the French decided to show it. Saying that, I think the whole world was in awe and so they did show a little more than they usually might.

And that’s pretty much all the cycling I have to talk about, apart from the epic events that have taken place between me, the bike and my turbo trainer. That’s right, I think the best incentive not to crash is to know that you will have to spend at least an hour on the turbo if you break anything. Maybe it should be instated as some sort of punishment, because that’s what it is, torture. In fact I don’t think the UN would allow it under the Genève Convention. It’s a well known fact that time slows down dramatically once you park your ass on the turbo and even more so when you decide to make any kind of effort. I think if a scientific study were done, it would show that perception of time increases at an exponential rate for every extra watt you put out. All cyclists know (or should do anyway) what I’m talking about. Most only use the turbo when the weather is bad in the winter and this is bad enough. Now imagine it being the only thing you can do to keep fit....every day....for two weeks....in the summer. The mere thought of it should make you ride safer in the peloton, or stop playing Frisbee...and rightly so. I could go on, but you get the picture...I hate the turbo.

Nevertheless, I have endeavoured to keep race fit and this means using it, much to my distress. So for the moment its mano-a-turbo until I can finally get on the road again. I fashioned myself a sling out of an inner tube to stop my ‘hospital figure of 8 splint’ from getting sweaty, bought myself an ipod (nano 4GB, finally dragging myself into the 21st century) and got on with it. I managed one and half hours once, it was a new record for me in one sitting. I’ve even done two sessions in one day, although the second session is mostly spent questioning myself on what the hell I’m doing rather than actually training. A great perk of living in an apartment block is that when I do my training in the communal driveway thing, everyone gets a good view of my efforts. What they must think when they take the short walk to their cars, only to see a grunting, sweating idiot on a bike going nowhere, god only knows. The most I can muster is in out on breath “Bonjour” and they stare at me in what I imagine must be disbelief.

Now, onto the question I know you’ve all been wondering about...next year. It’s time for me to start thinking about next season and what I plan on doing. I’ve already deferred my university place, so dossing about is a given, but where am I to doss? That is the question. I have enjoyed my time here, although where I have been situated in relation to hubs of human activity has been a bit of a problem. But cycling wise, I have taken part in some of the biggest amateur races in France and even some small pro ones. Not many first year riders abroad do what I have done and it’s really brought me on as a rider. I would enjoy doing the same things next year, but at the same time I’d like to try something different. I think this year I’ve built myself up and next year I’d like to really put all my efforts into actually doing well rather than being an also ran that managed to finish (or not as the case may be). The hotbed of racing in Brittany is very attractive prospect and I’d really like to give it a go. The idea of not having to travel more than 2 hours to a race is also something that attracts me, having spent more time here travelling than racing. But once again, with this team I can look forward to a rich calendar which couldn’t be guaranteed by a smaller team. I’ll have to consider my options and make a decision that I feel best suits me.

And then what? I think two seasons will be enough to see what I’m really capable of and see how far I can possibly take it. My university place is for 2009 entry so I’ll have to make my mind up. I think once I reach this stage next year I’ll have to make an assessment and an important decision. But until that time I’ll keep riding my bike and seeing how I do. Wish me well.

Until next time,

Chok lepm lepm lepm

PS, here's the video of my week in the alps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypfYbqj-Q0Q

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would be mindful that in Brittany it pisses with rain all the time.I went to the Vendée after my opening year in Lorraine and it was a wise choice-still got mates there.

I should 'doss' for as long as you can,being a rider in France is still the best life ever.

Guy