Tuesday 27 May 2008

Some form.


27oC is what the Credit Mutuel flashing sign told me the temperature was this morning as I sped past. The sun was just burning off the mid-morning haze and although there was a little wind it was a good day for riding. I couldn’t keep my heart rate down for thinking about the weekend just gone and one coming up, that’s right, things are on the up. As the weather got better, me and Tom decided it was time to get out of the apartment for a bit and do some recon on the local cafes. We found that a very dodgy looking one 300 metres from our apartment was actually quite pleasant on the inside, albeit a tad expensive. The décor was clean and smooth with a very flash pool table and electronic darts board. Now pool is one of those games that 95% of the population think they are good at but in fact are pretty mediocre at best, I am one of these people. Tom on the other hand, is not, he had told me that he was good at the billiards based games and I was sceptical at best having heard the talk several times before. But once we started playing it was obvious the only way I was ever going to win a game was with a lot of luck, but at 2€ a game, luck could wait. The other highlight of the week was receiving a completely flat, but no less tasty loaf of soreen (malt loaf) from Tom’s mum. They don’t sell this finest of commodities in France for some reason, so it was swiftly devoured after our ride that day, with some butter of course.

My training went nicely during the week; I felt good spinning the legs and worked hard in my longer rides to keep the speed up and good weather makes this a lot easier. The legs felt good and I was looking forward to the weekend, it would comprise of a 1, 2 and 3 category race of 115 kilometres on what we would find to be a rolling to hilly course with 2 x 1km climbs, each with GPM points at the top. As well as these were a couple of other tough ascents that weren’t deemed hard enough to warrant a sprint at the top. To give myself more of a chance I finally got round to fitting the carbon bottle cages I had brought over from England. I would have done it sooner but for some reason the multi-tool I brought over didn’t have the right size Allen key, I digress. I also decided it was time for a new sock combination; I have always worn two pairs of socks due to my feet being long and thin and not filling out a shoe properly. So when I think I need an extra boost, I change my race sock combination. This time I went for an old, slightly murky, pair of assos socks that had served me well in the past underneath and some new white ones that I bought from Decathlon at 5€ for 3 pairs to go on top. Everything was set, my bike must have been at least 10% lighter with the carbon bottle cages and I had a new race sock combination, nothing could stop me.

We got to the race quite early, so for the first time this season we drove round a lap beforehand. The hills looked pretty daunting and numerous from the car, but then again they always do, generally though I think the drive round helped. After signing on, getting the good old paper number, pinning it on and warming up, I got to the start at the front. The hilly nature of the course and varying degree of ability in the 90 strong peloton meant it was quite obvious that the first serious move that got away, would stay away. As soon as we were waved away we turned right into the first none classified hill which was just as long, if not longer, than the other climbs. The attacks came soon enough first from our team, then others. I followed the people I considered dangerous and the race soon got tough as we hit the first and then second climbs. I stayed in the mix as much as possible and followed some of the hardest moves, the legs were good. Despite the attacks the bunch was still largely together as we finished the first lap and hit the ascents again. Coming into the first of the two GPM hills I put myself at the front ready to go with any serious attacks, this proved to be a good decision. Gwenael Rouzet, the obvious race favourite, made his move attacking for the GPM sprint. I followed 5th in line behind making one of those efforts that could possibly shorten your life span, but you know that somewhere someone will have left a gap. Someone had and ten of us were away, 3 from my team including me, 3 from the other big team, CC Etupes and 4 others including Rouzet of course.

The next 10km were pretty painful, I had to skip a few turns but I was in the break. I hadn’t been too far back, I did have the legs, the race winning move had been made and I was in it...yes. After the necessary burn to get away from the frantic peloton we settled down to a very steady pace, almost too steady. In fact I was amazed at how average the pace was, my legs were itching to go faster as I was worried we’d be caught going so slow. It turned out not to be the case and that the steady pace was the same as or more than the pelotons constant accelerations and easing off. After a lap in the break my legs felt great, I started to think I could win it and began to convince myself. After another two laps though I felt slightly differently, the constant climbing and descending had taken its toll on my legs. Coming into the last lap an attack was made from the break on the opening hill; I was quite near the back and reacted a moment too late. The gap had been made and I couldn’t bring it back, the same could be said for three others one of which blew completely never to be seen again. With about 16km to go the three of us worked, desperate not for our efforts to be wasted and be caught by the peloton. Luckily with 1km to go we knew we were safe and so began the cat and mouse for 7th place. I have an average sprint, which means that when I’m up to speed not many people come round me but I struggle to get round the really fast guys. I enjoyed the cat and mouse knowing whatever happened I would finish in the top 10. I was 2nd wheel following the jump from one of the guys and thought I was starting to come round him as we came into the finish. But my legs were in a bit of a state after a hot day and cramp wanted to take hold, I blocked it out for 200 metres but once the rider in 3rd shot past with 50 metres to go I knew I was finished. I finished 9th out of the break of 10, a little disappointing, but before you can sprint you must first be able to run and before you can run you must first be able to walk. I think I’ve just broken into a sprightly jog (all thanks to those carbon bottle cages and new race sock combination).

Our team finished 3rd, 6th and 9th in the end and were disappointed to miss out on the win (Rouzet). I was quite happy with my performance, but I’m a realist, I did relatively well in a relatively short race with a relatively small field. But now I know the legs are there and confidence is as good as any drug on the market....well maybe not but you know what I mean.


Until next time,

Slán

PS. More photos to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as gaeilge......go maith a chara !!

irishdave

Anonymous said...

Are socks concidered as doping?

Well done, mate, you're on the good way.